Work-based Learning Opportunities - Explore Your Future
FAA Job Shadow Day
PLEASE NOTE THAT DUE TO COVID-19 2020-21 SCHOOL ENDORSED INTERNSHIPS MAY BE ON HOLD OR CANCELLED TEMPORARILY.
Career Experience Program Overview
Marshall Governor's STEM Academy is committed to providing our students with a rigorous academic and career and technical education (CTE) that incorporates classroom learning and “real-world” work-based learning experiences. A Career Experience Specialist works closely with Academy faculty, local industry, business, government and centers of higher education to develop an annual program of high value experiential learning opportunities that foster career exploration and preparation.
Marshall Academy provides career exploration and experiences….
Individual Career Counseling
- Students receive assistance in the area(s) of career direction, job search skills, and career etiquette.
Classroom Speaker Series
- Business and industry professionals visit Academy classes to present information on the various career fields available, the outlook for that career and other important information to help students with their career decisions, career preparation and job search.
Career Shadow Program
- Shadow opportunities provide the opportunity for Academy students to spend the day with a business professional, gain insight about a specific career of interest and get an inside look and overview of the company.
- Marshall Academy juniors and seniors can participate in the Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce (TRCC) Job Shadow Program.
Resume Writing/Critiquing & Interview Preparation
- Students participate in a resume workshop to develop a resume for career, collegiate, gap year, scholarship, etc… endeavors.
Internships and Apprenticeships
- Internships and Apprenticeships are generally held during a student’s senior year or in a Level two or higher course. Select students may participate in job training programs as early as junior year upon the recommendation of the Academy instructor.
- An Academy internship/apprenticeship is a prestigious opportunity to apply the certification and skills obtained from the Academy course to a professional business experience.
Career and Job Fairs
- Academy students are invited to participate in the annual in-person and virtual career fairs . Each year, Marshall Governor’s STEM Academy hosts the Criminal Justice & Cybersecurity Career Fair. Students have an opportunity to meet over 20 employers representing federal, state, and local government, as well as, colleges and universities and private industries.
- Students looking for part-time employment are encouraged to attend one of the many job fairs hosted at schools throughout the county.
- To learn more about the Career Experience Program at Marshall Academy, please contact: